29 May The other top ten questions about my ADT Security System
There have been many comments to the first blog that I wrote about the top 15 questions that people have about ADT Security Systems. So it’s time that I write another blog that’s a sequel to that one but with only 10 questions. Some of them are a repeat and I’m only testing you to see if you noticed which ones they are.
1. I push the Away button on my keypad but it only arms in the stay mode.
This is because the system automatically detects if you have left or not. If you haven’t opened and closed a door, then it will automatically change to the stay mode so that you don’t set off the motion detector. So if you really want to arm the system in Away mode while you’re home, just open and close the door. (And stay away from the motion detector!)
2. I just moved into a home that has an old ADT Security System in it. How can I go about turning on or activating the monitoring service?
The easiest way is to call us. We can activate it for you. Even more important, we can find out what you need and if the system is usable over the phone usually. We can often just activate it with some minor programming. Sometimes we need to replace some parts or add some parts. So just call us at 1-800-871-2119 or click here to email me.
3. I would like to change the entry or exit delay on my ADT Security System, how can I do this?
You can’t do this. At least not without some help since you most likely need to enter expert programming to do it. It sounds intimidating but it’s really easy if you know what you’re doing. You are welcome to call us and see. Sometimes we can walk you through it over the phone for half the cost of service call.
4. If someone enters my home while my system is armed and they make me disarm the alarm system, how will the ADT Monitoring Station know?
You want to disarm it with the duress code. You can set your own duress code very easily. To set your duress code, type your master code, then 808, and then the 4-digit code you want to have for the duress code.
5. How do I arm my ADT Security System without the beeps (countdown)?
There are two ways you can do this. You can push your code then away or stay and then the no delay button. Or you can just hold down the stay or away button until it arms.
6. How do I change the volume on my keypad?
If you have a LYNX keypad, you simply need to push #2 (function volume) and then up or down arrows on buttons 3 and 6. So if I wanted to turn the volume up I would push #2-33333333. If I wanted to turn it down, I would do #2-66666666. You just keep pushing 3 or 6 until it reaches the desired volume.
7. I set off the alarm and disarmed it but it still says alarm on the keypad and it will not let me arm the system again. What do I do?
If you cancel or turn off an alarm event, you always need to type in your code and push off twice to reset the system.
8. How can I add or change the description to the zone number so it displays “front door” when I open the front door?
If you don’t have zone descriptions programmed in your keypad, then you will need a technician to help you do it. This involves entering expert programming mode and is recommended to be done by a technician. And if you call us, we can walk you through it for half the cost of a visit from a technician.
9. How do I bypass a window so I can sleep with a window open?
The first thing you need to do is know what the zone number is of the window. If you open it and everything else is closed in the house, the keypad should tell you what zone it is when you press **. If it tells you it’s zone 05, for example, you would type your master code, push 6 for bypass, and then type 05. Another way to do this is to do a force bypass by simply typing your user code 6 + # (assuming the force bypass field is active in advanced programming).
10. I set off my alarm and no one responded and I didn’t get any calls. How come?
If you turn off the alarm system with your master code within the first 30 seconds, the central station notices this and won’t call.
I hope this second set of FAQs helps and please let me know if they have helped you by leaving a comment and please let me know if there are more questions that should be added. You can call us for a free estimate at 1-800-871-2119 or email us. You can also shop here if you want to add more equipment to your ADT Security System. Don’t forget, we reward our friends that refer people to us with a $100 rebate check.