ADT Pulse uses Z-wave Technology
Z-wave technology is the heart of ADT Pulse and almost all home automation systems. It is the technology that allows electronic devices to talk to each other and you. All of that communication happens reliably, without interference, without consuming a lot of power, and it all happens securely. Using Z-Wave you are able to combine electronic devices into a network and have them all work together automatically, on an event, or on a schedule. It makes regular household items like a deadbolt, light switch, or thermostat “smart”. Your ADT Pulse Gateway is the Z-wave gateway that allows you to control all of these devices.
The Z-Wave protocol is an interoperable, wireless, RF-based communications technology designed specifically for control, monitoring and status reading applications in residential and light commercial environments. Mature, proven and broadly deployed (with over 35 million products sold worldwide), Z-Wave is by far the world market leader in wireless control, bringing affordable, reliable and easy-to-use ‘smart’ products to many millions of people in every aspect of daily life.
- Wireless – No cables or complex installation needed. Z-Wave uses a low-frequency, high range wireless technology.
- Low Power – Both the battery powered and wired Z-wave devices use low power capabilities.
- Secure – ADT would not mess with anything that would compromise your security. With Z-wave there are layers of security from device codes to signal encryption that work to help avoid breaches and interference. Z-wave uses industry standard AES128 encryption, the same protocol used in online banking.
- Interference Free – Unreliability can be really frustrating. Since Z-wave uses a low frequency and avoids interference with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and other systems using the 2.4GHz band.
- Mesh Technology – Wireless signals can get lost, but Z-wave signals do not because z-wave devices act as part of a mesh network, receiving, amplifying, and repeating signals intended for other z-wave devices. Because nodes (connected to power) act as a repeater, Z-wave can provide enough range for even the largest homes.
- Expandable – You can buy some devices today and more in a month or a year. The more you add the better your mesh network will be and the more devices you can control.
- Easy to Use – Anyone can add Z-wave devices to their ADT Pulse system and a professional technician is not required. Most devices have been designed to be easy to install so that it can be done with little help or instruction.
More Facts about Z-wave
- Z-wave has over 10 years in the market of home control
- 90% of smart home devices use Z-wave
- There are over 1300 z-wave devices in the world today